Sunday, September 20, 2009

Pigs Get a Million Dollars

I am amazed at the government these days. I truly believe that they are out of control. The government does not answer to the people anymore I think, I think we answer to the government.

I know not everyone may be as upset with the condition of the United States of America as I am, but I hope everyone at least can see that there is a problem and if not changed soon, things will only get worse. It does not matter which party is in power, because the entire system has broken down.

I came across a group called Citizens Against Government Waste and they publish a yearly book called the "Pig Book". This book gives examples of money wasted by the government. I was reading it and was even more amazed at just how much waste is really in the government. Read the section from the book below to get an idea of what I am talking about:

"$1,791,000 by Senate Agriculture Appropriations Subcommittee
member Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) for swine odor and manure
management research in Ames. According to the Agriculture
Research Service’s website, the purpose of the research is to
“generate and integrate knowledge for evaluation and development
of new management practices that minimize nutrient excretion,
malodorous emissions, and the release of pathogens into the
environment as well as have a positive impact on animal health.”
In an effort to defend his earmark on the Senate floor, Sen. Harkin
summed up its ridiculous nature succinctly: “I’m sure that David
Letterman will probably be talking about it and Jay Leno will be
talking about it, we’ve got $1.8 million to study why pigs smell.”

I recommend you look through the PDF version available on the website:
2009 Pig Book

This is beyond party lines and who you think should be president, this is looking at the entire government system as a whole.

Do you think the system is broken? Do you see an issue with the amount of money that is spend by the government? Do they have to much power today? What can fix the system? Have we lost the Founding Father's idea of government or just expanded upon it?

No comments:

Post a Comment